Not sure how to get rid of cockroaches forever in your home? You’re not alone. Cockroaches are one of the most common household pests in the world. We seriously hate these roaches and we don’t want to see it around. They are nowhere to be seen during the day but as soon as you turn the lights off, they start roaming around the house.
The ability of cockroach to adapt and survive in all kinds of harsh conditions make them a formidable foe for anyone. The roach infestation is a sign of unsanitary conditions and dirt, and it causes unpleasant impressions of the premises.
In fact, there are more than 4,500 different kinds of cockroaches across the globe. Different roaches can be attracted to your home for different reasons. The most common species and the ones that you might see around your home are the German cockroaches, the American cockroach, and the brownbanded cockroach.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), cockroaches can spread germs by contaminating food which can result in food poisoning, diarrhea, allergies and skin rashes. In addition, they can also damage your wallpaper, books and electronics. And if that’s the case and you want to get rid of cockroaches forever, then read on this post.
Interesting Facts About Cockroaches
Here are some strange and fascinating facts about cockroaches:
- A cockroach can live for a week without its head. This is because they have an open circulatory system, and they breathe through tiny holes in each of their body segments. They don’t need a head or a mouth to breath. A roach dies of thirst only because it can’t drink.
- Not only can they fly but also move at a speed of 3 miles per hour.
- A baby cockroach is as small as a tiny speck of dust but can run as fast as its parents.
- A female can mate with a male only once, and this will be enough to produce offspring without a male for the rest of her life.
- Cockroaches are cold-blooded and can live without food for up to a month. However, they can only live without water for one week.
- Cockroaches can hold their breath for up to 40 minutes and survive being submerged in water for thirty minutes.
Lifestyle of Cockroaches
Cockroaches prefer warm and humid places. They are insects that do not sleep in the night. Roaches hide in secluded places such as crevices and cracks during the day. That is why, you can only detect them at night. If you turn on the light, you will see roaches running through the cracks. They move about, run fast and sometimes you cannot swat them.
Cockroaches reproduce by laying eggs. One egg case contains from 15 to 50 individuals. One female may create at least 10 egg cases in her lifetime. It takes 4 months for a cockroach to develop from an egg to an adult. Roaches can live and reproduce up to 30 weeks. During this time, more than 300 individuals can produce offspring.
A female carries eggs in a bag at the back. This egg is called an ootheca. It is often taken for an elongated tail. In case of danger, a dying female can throw back, i.e. catapult, her egg case, and the eggs with roaches will remain alive. Such situations may occur, when a cockroach female runs away and throws back her egg case.
In case of exposure to poisonous substances, the eggs remain alive and a young generation of roaches develops from them. Their ability to reproduce faster coupled with their survival abilities leads to their increasing nature.
Why Are Roaches Bugging You?
Cockroaches like to live indoors among humans. This is because of the warmth and shelter from harsh elements. They also has easy access to food & water. In other words, they’re just looking for a place to survive; and your house is giving them exactly what they want.
Here are some reasons why they appeared in your home:
- The first is of course, exposed food. Food for cockroaches can be anything from human food to pet food.
- The next would be dark damp spots in your home. Since cockroaches can go without food, they tend to stay hidden in the blind spots of our houses. It might be the area near the trashcan, or basement. It can also be at certain spots in the kitchen where light doesn’t reach or cluttered shelves and what not.
- Exposed trash is yet another cause behind cockroach pestering. The wet scraps of food, liquid and cardboard boxes in the trash help the cockroaches to thrive.
- Another reason for cockroach infestation is weed overgrowth. Overgrowth of weed in the garden or near your main pathway attracts these ugly pests into houses. Natural mulch or festering vegetation is quite favorable for cockroaches to survive.
- Last but not the least, poor housing conditions in neighboring apartments will lead to the fact that cockroaches will crawl into your home.
How to Get Rid of cockroaches Forever
Serve these cockroaches an eviction notice and keep them from coming back forever. You can use tricks and hacks to eliminate these nasty roaches from your home, office pantry, wardrobes, kitchen cabinets and everywhere else.
1. Check all Possible Places Where Cockroaches Can Get Into Your Home.
Check doors and windows but also check cracks in your floor, baseboards, cupboards and any other opening. Roaches hide during daylight and prefer dark, small spaces. By eliminating potential hiding spots, roaches will be forced to be out in the open to find a new place to live.
- Seal cracks and crevices with a caulking gun.
- Close holes surrounding pipes or other light and wall fixtures with a material such as Stuff It Copper Mesh.
- Make sure window and doorframes are tight and gap free to prevent entry from outside.
- Place tape over holes and crevices in appliances and other household items in areas that have heavy roach traffic. Computers, small appliances, etc., can all serve as harborage for roaches.
People who live in an apartment should check any holes between other units. Because cockroaches can move from one apartment to another. Once you check for cracks be sure to seal them to keep roaches out. Use weather stripping around doors and windows and be sure to caulk all cracks in floors etc.
2. Clean, clean and clean again
As with most household pests, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. What do I mean? You’ve got to make sure your house is spic-and-span. Because cockroaches are attracted to food residue, particularly grease. That means wiping down the counters each night, never leaving dirty dishes in the sink. Always make sure the stovetop is clean and sweep the floors before you go to bed. This may seem like a lot to do every day, but if you start doing this stuff on a regular basis, a 15-minute clean-up should be plenty at the end of each night to eliminate most residues.
3. Cut Off a Roaches Food and Water Sources
Like other living things, food and water are essential to the growth of cockroaches. If you notice the six-legged bugs in your home, take a look around for any signs of food that the roaches may be feeding on. You’ll have none of these bugs if you cut off their food and water sources completely. This leaves them with absolutely no way to find food or water in your home. Of course, realistically, that’s impossible. Don’t let that deter you though. You’re still able to make it less attractive for them and it is vital for successful cockroach control.
Reduce food source
Make it harder for them to eat by:
- Leave zero dirty dishes overnight.
- Putting food away in sealed containers.
- Covering food.
- Reducing clutter.
- Sweeping & vacuuming on a daily basis.
- Keep all garbage in tightly closed containers.
- Take out the garbage often.
Reduce water sources
Reduce their access to water by:
- Fixing all leaky plumbing (including fixtures that drip).
- Drying all kitchen, bathroom, and other sinks in the house every single night before bedtime.
- Covering all drains (sinks and bathtub) at night.
- Wipe and dry any spills.
- Emptying and drying pet water bowls at night
4. Roach Bait Traps
They are one of the most effective and popular methods to getting rid of roaches at home. Most commercial roach baits contain the chemical known as Fipronil which will cause damage to the nervous system of insects. It contains a slow-working poison mixed in with an attractive food (for cockroaches). The effect of the chemical is not immediate and other roaches (or even ants) feeding on the corpses of the poisoned roach will suffer the same fate as well. Thus, it can possibly wipe out an entire colony of cockroaches.
A recommend product is the Hot Shot Mini Ultra Liquid Roach Bait. It contains half a dozen of liquid-based baits. A general piece of advice is to use all the roach baits at the same time, deploying them at different spots within the infested area (for example, the kitchen, basement) in your apartment. If you deprive the roaches of water, it will increase the chance of them using the baits. Combat’s roach bait traps are also a popular and proven brand.
5. Get Rid of Cockroaches Forever with Diatomaceous Earth
Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is made up of fossilized remains of tiny, aquatic organisms known as diatoms. DE have plenty of uses and one of the such applications is its prowess in pest control. They are commonly used and included as an ingredient in pest control products such as pesticides.
Diatomaceous earth causes insects (those with an exoskeleton) to dehydrate and eventually die. The main advantage of it is that, it is not poisonous and generally harmless to the human body. What you can do is to mix water or roaches’ favourite food (such as flour and chocolate) with DE. Then place these food baits near the ‘hotspots’. You can easily obtain DE from your local hardware store or online.
6. Cockroach Spray
Alternative to the cockroach bait traps is the spray. It works to get rid of cockroaches forever. Disinfect with the best roach spray the areas where cockroaches are known to gather in your apartment. Examples such as skirting boards, cracks, jambs, and window frames. The roach spray is inexpensive, it works quickly and effectively.
An example is Raid Max spray. It’s made to make the cockroach elimination quick and easy. In addition to its effective formula, it has a special Seek’n’Kill Applicator, a plastic nozzle which helps you to spray the most hard-to-reach places like cracks and crevices where roaches hide.
Raid Max spray effect lasts for six weeks, which means once you’ve worked all the surfaces and entrance points where you have spotted cockroaches, the ones that revisit your place, will be killed very soon. And it takes no more than five minutes for a roach to die from the spray.
This spray contains powerful chemicals that can be harmful to you, and especially for your children and pets. Try not to spray it in the room where you sleep or spend much time in. Because it contains poisonous substances. The basic pesticide used in Raid spray is Synthetic Pyrethroids that effect cockroach nervous system and kill it quickly on contact. Though poisonous by nature, it has a pleasant fresh fragrance.
7. Electronic Pest Repeller
The use of technology is permeating in every aspect of our lives. Although electronic pest repellers have been met with much doubt, this pest ridding technology is gradually seeing the limelight and gaining acceptance. Most electronic pest repellers make use of ultrasonic sound waves that are inaudible to humans. Additionally, these sound waves repel not only cockroaches in your apartments but other pests such as rodents, ants and small animals etc.
8. Get Rid of Cockroaches Forever with Boric Acid
Boric acid is highly poisonous to get rid of cockroaches forever. If you sprinkle about 100 grams of boric acid near the water sources, near the skirting boards and around the trash bin, this will be enough to kill the whole clan of cockroaches. Boric acid is the best roach bait of natural origin.
The only drawback of this roach bait is that the smell of boric acid frightens away cockroaches, and they will not eat it. But the fact is that the insects must eat the powder, and this will lead to their complete paralysis.
- A mixture of raw egg yolk and boric acid is a way to attract cockroaches to eating roach poison. Take 50 grams of boric acid for 1 yolk, mix the gruel, roll balls (1 cm in diameter), dry these balls and spread them in the areas where the roaches are known to gather. The egg yolk removes the smell of boric acid, and it is a delicacy for cockroaches.
- To frighten away the insects, add ammonia to the water for washing floors. Because cockroaches cannot stand this smell.
9. Insect Growth Regulators (IGR)
Insect growth regulators work very well. They are vital to any serious attempt to get rid of a cockroaches forever. The only problem is you don’t work by themselves. IGRs are artificial hormones. Whiles they don’t kill roaches, they will only help stop juvenile cockroaches from being able to reach adulthood. They will also prevent their eggs from hatching.
10. Use a Solution of Soap and Water.
This is an easy way to kill adult roaches. Make a light solution of soap (bath soap is fine) and water that is thin enough to spray through a spray bottle. You can splash it, spray it or just throw it on the roach. Just 2 or 3 drops of a soapy water solution can kill a roach. Ensure that it makes contact with the roach’s head and lower abdomen. If you can turn the roach over, hitting the belly is best. The roach will run or try to run, but will suddenly stop and die or be almost dead in one minute.
The soapy water kills them by forming a thin film over the roach’s breathing pores that stays in place due to surface tension, causing the roach to suffocate. Throw the roach away as soon as possible, since it could recover if the water dries up or has not touched a large percentage of its body.
11. Call a Pest Control Company
This option will likely cost you the most, but if you have a serious infestation you should call a professional to help. Don’t try and handle it on your own. A professional pest control company can help get rid of cockroaches forever in your home through effective bug-killing treatments. If you have pets and children, make sure to ask for an option that is safe for little hands and paws.
Ways to Prevent Cockroaches From Entering Your House Forever.
Getting rid of cockroaches forever is always more difficult and expensive than taking preventive measures. If you have never had cockroaches, you should stay alert because they can appear at any time.
To avoid the roach infestation of your home, follow these simple rules:
- Seal all cracks and crevices, through which cockroaches can penetrate.
- Check door and window seals, as well as the integrity of jambs and frames.
- Do not eat in other rooms except the kitchen. The crumbs will attract cockroaches.
- Wash the dishes immediately after eating – do not leave them in the sink.
- Put pet food in hermetically sealed containers.
- In the evening, take out the garbage. Wash the bin, wipe it dry and cover it tightly with a lid. Even small pieces of food are a good meal for cockroaches.
- When coming home from travels or business trips, check your stuff. Cockroaches could get into your bag in hotels or transport.
- Cut flowers and branches that come in contact with your windows (cockroaches may leave the basement and come to your apartment, walking on the ground and branches).
- Eliminate plumbing leaks – cockroaches need water.
- Remember that hungry and dehydrated cockroaches do not multiply (they can even eat each other). Deprive them of food and water, and they will leave or will not appear in your house at all.
By adhering these simple rules, you can avoid big trouble. It should be remembered that if you find at least one specimen, you need to take urgent measures and to get rid of cockroaches detected forever.
The best method of cockroach control is prevention, maintenance of cleanliness and observance of sanitary standards.