Many people know about the use of coconut oil in beauty care. But has no idea about its healing effect. Besides the usage of skincare, whitening , and so on, coconut oil can be used to treat some common diseases, specially yeast infections.
Coconut oil is a highly reliable natural option to treat and also eliminate yeast infections. This can be due to its rich properties. Coconut oil can prevent the yeast infections from growing and also deny it access to necessary sugars. This speeds up healing process and also strengthens the immune system.
Yeast infections are caused by the overgrowth of Candida albicans, a fungus that is present in everyone’s body. The good bacteria present in our body controls its growth. But certain factors such as antibiotics, allergies, stress etc. will cause it to spread and also grow faster.
Yeast infection can develop on any part of the body such as mouth, vagina, intestine and skin. Treatment of yeast infections are typically with over-the-counter or prescription creams. But simple home remedies can be safer and also an effective option as compared to them. One of such remedy is coconut oil.
Why Coconut Oil?
Coconut oil is high in three active ingredients (lauric, capric and caprylic acid). All these have antiviral, antifungal, and also antibacterial properties. These compounds target harmful bacteria while leaving friendly bacteria. Studies also showed that caprylic acid in coconut oil breaks down the cell membrane. This reduces yeast growth and also prevents it from multiplying itself.
Use virgin coconut oil for vaginal yeast infection. Because it contains a generous amount of lauric acid. This nutrient strengthens and also supports the body’s immune system to fight against the yeast fungus.
Coconut oil is an antioxidant and also effective agent in killing yeast and other fungal growths in the body. It also aids in the absorption of vitamins and minerals. Adding a moderate amount of coconut oil to your diet is considered safe. Because it contains unrefined fats which are easily converted into energy instead of storing as fat.
How to Use Coconut Oil in Treating Yeast Infections
The treatment itself is extremely simple. Just purchase a high-quality extra virgin coconut oil. You can use it both internally and topically. You can either apply coconut oil on the affected area or include a moderate amount of it in your diet to cure yeast infection. Try the remedies below regularly to treat the infection.
Coconut Oil for Yeast Infections on Skin
If you notice redness, swelling and itching on your skin, it might be yeast infection. You can just apply coconut oil on the affected areas and leave it to dry completely. Use of coconut oil for private parts is completely safe. To use coconut oil for yeast infection on skin:
- If you have never used coconut oil topically before, apply the coconut oil first on a healthy area of the skin that is not affected by the yeast infection.
- Wait for 24 hours and test your body’s response. If everything is fine, proceed with the next steps.
- Wash the area of concern and dry well.
- Next, you need to take a few drops of coconut oil on that area and make a thin layer.
- Start with a small area first and wait for 24 hours before using it on larger areas in the body.
- Apply it twice or trice in a day to treat the yeast infection. For best results, try this method regularly for a couple of weeks.
Using coconut oil on its own isn’t always enough to relieve your discomforts. Using coconut oil for yeast infection can itch. Therefore, it usually require stronger ingredients in addition in order to provide a significant relief. Combining coconut oil with other essential oils has shown to help many with these discomforts.
Let’s have a look at them below.
1. Coconut Oil with Cinnamon Oil
This process is effective in controlling the yeast growth, reduce the symptoms and prevent yeast infections.
- Combine equal amounts of coconut oil and cinnamon oil.
- Apply the mixture on the affected areas.
- Leave it to dry completely.
- Repeat the application regularly as needed until you achieve the results.
2. Coconut Oil with Garlic Oil and Vitamin E
The antibacterial and antifungal properties of coconut oil and garlic oil fight off the yeast causing infection. Vitamin E nourishes the skin and also encourages the new skin cells production.
- Add few drops of garlic oil and vitamin E oil into enough amounts of coconut oil.
- Apply the oil mixture on the affected areas.
- Let the skin absorb the oils completely.
- Repeat the process regularly to notice the results.
3. Coconut Oil with Oregano Oil
Oregano oil contains anti-candidal properties which help in killing off the yeast. Coconut oil also makes a good emulsifier for the oregano oil apart from treating yeast infection.
- Combine enough amounts of coconut oil and oregano oil.
- Apply the mixture on the affected areas.
- Leave it to dry completely.
- Repeat the process as needed to get relief from yeast infection.
Coconut Oil to Treat Vaginal Yeast Infections
As per a study, vaginal yeast infection affects almost 75% of the women at least once in their life. Burning sensation, redness, swelling of the vulva and thick discharge are some of the symptoms of vaginal yeast infection. Below are few remedies to treat a vaginal yeast infection with coconut oil. Try any of them as per your convenience.
1. Topical Application
- Rinse the affected area with water and dry thoroughly. If the area is sensitive, then dry it using a hair dryer.
- Spread a thin layer of coconut oil on the affected area.
- Follow the process twice or thrice in a day until the yeast infection clears.
2. Coconut Oil Tampon
By following this process, you can ensure a close contact of coconut oil to vagina walls. It provides great relief from burning sensation and itching.
- Take an unbleached tampon.
- Soak it in coconut oil for few minutes.
- Insert the soaked tampon into the vagina.
- Leave it overnight or up to 8 hours and remove it.
- Rinse off the area and pat dry completely.
- Repeat the process daily for 4 – 5 nights.
3. Coconut Oil Suppositories
This process also works like the tampon but here we will insert solid coconut oil suppositories into the vagina. You can reduce the symptoms within one or two applications.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Add 4 drops each of an essential oil such as lavender and olive essential oil. But, you can use any essential oils of your choice instead of them.
- Stir well and pour the mixture into a silicon mold (which has shapes like a stick).
- Refrigerate them to solidify for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Remove the suppositories from the mold and store them in a container. You can break them as per the size you require.
- Place one coconut oil suppository and leave it overnight. The oil melts down as soon as it touches the body, so it is better to wear a pad avoid any mess.
- Repeat the process as necessary until you find relief from yeast infection.
4. Coconut Oil Douche
During douching, the coconut oil solution is sprayed directly into the vagina which helps to cleanse, reduce itching and discharge.
- To 2 quarts of warm distilled water, add 3 – 4 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Douche using this solution.
- Repeat this process daily until the infection clears.
5. Coconut Oil Bath
You can follow this process along with any other process mentioned above. Use coconut oil for vulvar irritation as it works like magic and provides instant relief from itching and irritation.
- Add few drops of coconut oil into your bathtub filled with lukewarm water.
- Soak in it for few minutes and pat yourself dry.
- Repeat as necessary.
Coconut Oil for for Nails and Toenails Fungus
To use coconut oil for nails and toenails fungus:
- Soften the toenails. To do this, soak your feet in warm water for 5-10 minutes. Then dry your feet, toes and toenails with a towel. This makes it easier to trim the toenails.
- Trim the toenails and keep them short. This can help the coconut oil to reach deeper.
- Begin by testing the mixture on a small area first to test your skin and toenail response. If irritation occurs, wipe with a clean paper towel and wash immediately with warm water.
- Prepare the coconut oil and apply to the nail or toenail. Make sure it reaches the surrounding skin using toe nail brush or a cotton swab.
- Use twice a day, morning and evening, after washing and drying the toenails and the surrounding skin.
Coconut Oil Diet to Treat Yeast Infection From Inside
Eat 3 to 5 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil daily for about a week. You can start off with smaller quantity of oil and then gradually increase. ( it can also be eaten plain). You can use coconut oil to replace regular cooking oil, butter. Another easy way is to stir it into your coffee, oatmeal or hot tea.
Also, before having meals, you can take a teaspoon of coconut oil. This can boost your immunity, prevent some kinds of disease and also treat yeast infections as well. Because coconut oil does not turn into trans-fats, so it can be heated at high temperature and used like regular cooking oil.
Coconut Oil for Yeast Infection in Intestines
A digestive imbalance leads to overgrowth of candida in the gastrointestinal tract. Persistent burping, constipation, diarrhea, bloating and stomach cramps are some of the symptoms. You can use coconut oil to treat yeast infection in the intestine. The processes below will enhance the effectiveness of coconut oil. This combination also flushes out the candida toxins.
1. Coconut Oil with Lemon Juice
- To a glass of lemon juice, add some coconut oil.
- Drink this on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Repeat daily to notice results.
2. Coconut Oil Enema
Coconut oil can be used to treat candida with no side effects. It also contains weight losing and cholesterol controlling properties.
- To 1.5 quarts of water, 8 ounces of coconut oil.
- Warm up the mixture up to 105 Fahrenheit.
- Pour the solution into an enema pump.
- Under qualified professional supervision, pump the solution into the colon through the anus.
- Repeat the process whenever needed.
Coconut Oil for Oral Thrush
Overgrowth of yeast in the mouth leads to oral thrush. It can develop on the tongue, gums and also inner cheeks and palate. Slight swelling, cottage cheese color, pain, and bleeding are the symptoms of oral thrush. Coconut oil is also helpful in treating oral thrush.
Coconut Oil Pulling
Oil pulling with coconut oil is one of the best ways to use coconut oil for oral thrush. This also help to maintain a good oral hygiene and health. Coconut oil pulling is a natural remedy that has a very long history of traditional use with its benefits also backed up by science (source 1, source 2).
The idea behind oil pulling is that certain oils have the ability to draw and pull toxins, bacteria and other pathogens from the mouth and saliva. Just by swishing it in your mouth for as long as 10-20 minutes, these toxins are attracted and mixed with the oil. When you spit that oil mixture, you are actually cleansing and also detoxifying your entire mouth by removing these toxins.
How to Oil pull With Coconut Oil for Oral Thrush
To oil pull with coconut oil for thrush:
- Coconut oil pulling should be done first thing in the morning. This should be before you drink, rinse your mouth, brush your teeth, etc.
- Use 100% organic unrefined virgin cold pressed coconut oil.
- Swish 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil in your mouth for 10-20 minutes (do not swallow).
- Spit out and rinse the mouth with clean water.
- Start with 1 teaspoon of coconut oil for 5 minutes. Then gradually increase the serving size and the swishing time also up to 20 minutes.
- Also remember not to eat or drink anything within an hour after the oil pulling.
Most people report yeast infections cleared up within a few days of regular coconut oil application in a topical form. Consuming coconut oil to address yeast infections could take slightly longer. Because the body has many different potential uses for coconut oil if it is given.
If you are regularly treating your yeast infection with coconut oil, but are seeing no improvement, it may be time to see a doctor and discuss pharmaceutical options. He/she may also help to adjust your natural health approach.
The process of curing the yeast infection will also be sped up if you reduce your intake of carbohydrates. The yeast require sugar to grow and proliferate. Therefore, cutting back on those simple sugars for a few days can slow the infection and make it easier to eliminate.