While not discussed as often as high blood pressure, low blood pressure (hypotension) can be as dangerous as well. In fact, low blood pressure (LBP) affects a large number of people across the globe. Often times, people don’t realise they are suffering from it and take it as just a case of feeling dizzy or ill. Low blood pressure is a medical condition that can cause uncomfortable symptoms and in extreme cases, have life-threatening consequences. But there are ways to treat low blood pressure naturally at home.
Low pressure leads to decreased blood flow to the heart, brain and other vital organs. This results in dizziness, nausea or loss of balance. If you have a problem of low pressure, you can make a few changes in your way of life and keep your blood pressure levels in check.
Blood pressure (BP) is the measurement of how your heart pumps blood and move it through your body. Blood flows through your blood vessels (arteries and capillaries) to supply all your organs what they need. When your heart beats, the pressure within your blood vessels increases. But between beats, the pressure decreases. Your BP therefore is the measurement of these two conditions. Blood pressure can be measured using millimeters of mercury (mmHg).
Low blood pressure generally refers to a BP reading below an average of about 90/60 mmHg. There are many reasons why it may occur. Below are the causes of the sudden drop in your blood pressure.
Blood Pressure Chart
Before you start using home remedies for low pressure you should make sure that your BP is actually too low. Here’s a blood pressure chart according to the American Heart Association.
|BLOOD PRESSURE (BP) CATEGORY||SYSTOLIC BP (mmHg)||DIASTOLIC BP (mmHg)|
|Low blood pressure |
|BELOW 90||BELOW 60|
|Normal blood pressure||90 – 120||60 – 80|
|Elevated blood pressure||120 – 129||60 – 80|
|High blood pressure |
|130 – 139||80 – 89|
|High blood pressure |
|140 OR HIGHER||90 OR HIGHER|
|Hypertensive crises||HIGHER THAN 180||and/or HIGHER THAN 120|
What Causes Low Blood Pressure?
Low blood pressure may result from:
- Sudden change in position such as suddenly rising from a lying down or sitting position.
- Low hemoglobin level
- Dehydration which can be due to prolonged nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or strenuous exercise.
- Allergic reaction (anaphylaxis)
- Moderate to severe bleeding
- Heart disease due to weakened heart muscles, slowed heart rate, blood clots in the heart, etc.
- Certain medications such as those used for treating high blood pressure, depression etc.
- Severe infection
In addition, keep an eye out for common symptoms of hypotension below.
Signs And Symptoms of Low Blood Pressure
Chances are you may be experiencing one or more symptoms. Here are some of the common ones;
- Pulsating headaches
- Weakness and heart palpitations
- Fainting (syncope) or collapsing
- Lack of concentration
- Temporary visual impairments such as seeing spots, blurry vision, or tunnel vision.
- Depressive moods
- Fatigue and increased need for sleep
- Ringing in the ears
- Cold hands and feet
- Excessive thirst
Given below are some of the home remedies to control the problem of low BP at home. With these natural remedies, you can elevate your pressure to normal levels. Read on to know how to use these home remedies to get quick relief.
Home Remedies To Treat Low Blood Pressure Naturally
These home remedies are natural and safe to use for treating the low BP at home. Let’s get started!
1. Salt Water
The rich source of sodium in salt makes it a perfect remedy to raise your blood pressure. High salt intake retains more water in the body which in turn raise the blood pressure. Just having a glass of water by adding salt in it will do the trick perfectly. However, you must avoid overusing this remedy as too much salt can be dangerous to your health.
How to Use
- Take a glass of lukewarm water and add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of salt in it.
- Stir it well and drink.
- Drink this daily until you get relief.
- For an added benefit; you can also add little sugar in it to make it an oral rehydration solution.
2. Green Tea
Green tea is a rich source of caffeine. The exact mechanism of how caffeine lowers blood pressure is not known, but it is thought to inhibit the function of the hormone responsible for keeping your arteries dilated. Because, your pressure raises when the arteries are constricted.
How to Use
- Add one teaspoon of green tea to a cup of hot water.
- Steep for 5 to 10 minutes and strain before drinking.
- Alternatively, steep green tea bags in hot water for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add half a teaspoon of honey for taste.
- Drink 2 or 3 times a day.
3. Ginger To Treat Low Blood Pressure Naturally
Ginger is an herbal remedy which is widely used to treat both high and low blood pressures. It has many beneficial compounds that includes certain powerful anti – oxidants and plant chemicals such as shogaol, gingerol and zingerone. This helps to prevent the fluctuations in your BP. It also contains many other useful properties which help to stimulate the blood circulation and thus increases the blood flow to have proper BP.
How to Use
- Take a pot and place 2 teaspoons of grated ginger in it.
- Pour a cup of boiling water over this grated ginger in that pot.
- Cover it and allow it to steep for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Now strain and drink.
- Drink this ginger tea daily to stabilize blood pressure levels.
Licorice is a classic remedy for hypotension and easy to use if only you appreciates its aroma. It is a very good herbal remedy used to raise BP. It’s active ingredient, glycerrhizin works just like a steroid. It will increase the amount of the hormone responsible for retaining sodium whiles removing potassium in the body. The BP will be elevated because of the properties of sodium. This gives you relief from the low blood pressure.
How to Use
- Take a pot and place a teaspoon of either dried or powdered licorice herb in it.
- Pour a cup of hot water over it and cover it.
- Allow it to steep for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Strain the tea to a cup with the help of a strainer or sieve.
- Drink this tea daily to raise your low pressure
- Alternatively: you can also take about 400 – 500 mg of licorice root capsules regularly for few days until you feel stability in blood pressure levels.
5. Coffee To Treat Low Blood Pressure Naturally
Believe it or not, coffee and other caffeinated tea can provide temporary relief from LBP. If your blood pressure drops suddenly, a cup of coffee can help as it increases the pressure and boosts the heart rate. But remember this remedy is only temporary and works only for a short period of time.
How to Use
- Heat a cup of water in a saucepan until it starts boiling.
- Add one or two spoons of coffee powder depending on your preference.
- Simmer it for 5 minutes.
- Allow it to cool a little before drinking.
- Drink two cups of coffee every day, preferably in the morning and evening.
6. Rosemary Oil To Treat Low Blood Pressure Naturally
Rosemary is another beneficial herb for treating low blood pressure. The oil contains camphor which is a stimulant for both the respiratory and circulatory system. This works excellently by stimulating the central nervous system to improve the blood circulation.
How to Use
- Mix about 5 to 6 drops of rosemary oil with 1 tablespoon of a carrier oil such as coconut or olive oil.
- Apply the oil over the whole body and massage lightly.
- You can also add rosemary oil to bath water and soak in it.
- Either way, you can do this once a day to treat the problem of low blood pressure.
7. Hawthorn Berries
There are certain herbs that have the capability to raise or lower BP. Hawthorn is one among those herbs which helps to regulate the blood pressure very effectively. It contains certain antioxidants like oligomeric proanthocyanidins (OPCs) and quercetin that helps to counter the damage caused from the free radicals which in turn leads to heart diseases. This OPCs in herb helps to strengthen the blood circulation by dilating the blood vessels, improves the blood flow and finally protects the blood vessels from the damage.
How to Use
- Take a pot and place a teaspoon of hawthorn berries in it.
- P a cup of our boiling water on it in the pot.
- Now cover it and allow it to steep for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Strain the tea with the help of strainer into a cup.
- Drink this tea to regulate the blood pressure.
- Alternatively, you can also use hawthorn leaves and flowers to make tea in the same way.
- Consume this tea every morning until you get relief.
8. Rose Geranium To Treat Low Blood Pressure Naturally
Rose geranium using is a very pleasant and fragrant way to raise blood pressure levels properly. It has antiseptic, astringent and also anti – depressant properties. Rose geranium also helps to stop the bleeding and thus stimulate the adrenals and regulates the hormones. It can be used in various ways to raise your low blood pressure levels but the best are detailed below.
How to Use Rose Geranium Plant
- Just sit calmly and sniff the fragrance of rose geranium plant.
- Inhaling the scent of this herb will definitely do wonders by elevating your blood pressure.
- Do this twice daily until you get complete relief.
How to Use Rose Geranium Essential Oil
- Get rose geranium essential oil.
- Then take a handkerchief or a cotton swab and pour 1 – 3 drops of this essential oil in it.
- Now sniff this to get relief from the low blood pressure.
- Continue doing this process daily to get a stable pressure.
How to Use Rose Geranium Oil Bath
- Take this essential oil and pour it into your bath water.
- Stir it well and soak in this water or take your bath with this oil water.
- Do this oil bath daily.
9. Aniseed To Treat Low Blood Pressure Naturally
This natural herb will help to increase blood pressure due to it being rich in B vitamins. It also contains other vital nutritious compounds such as iron, calcium, potassium, manganese, copper, magnesium and zinc which may help to raise BP. Aniseeds has a good source of some essential B – complex vitamins such as riboflavin, pyridoxine, thiamine and niacin. Vitamin B complex is important because, when the body is not getting enough of vitamin B – 12, it leads to anemia and further dropping blood pressure.
Here are few ways you can use this aniseed to get relief from the LBP.
How to Use
- Take a few aniseeds and use this while cooking.
- Continue using this aniseed to raise the blood pressure.
- You can also use them to bake breads and cookies.
How to Use Aniseed Tea
- Take a pot and pour a teaspoon of aniseeds in it.
- Then pour hot water over these seeds.
- Allow it to steep it for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Strain the tea into a cup and dink.
- Repeat this aniseed tea once daily until you stabilized the blood pressure levels.
Ginseng is widely used as Chinese medicine for treating various health problems including low BP. It’s very effective such that, even in very low doses, raises the blood pressure in people suffering from hypotension. It also has anti – oxidants that help to get rid of the free radicals which causes some health problems.
How to Use
- Add a teaspoon of ginseng tea to a cup of water.
- Bring it to a boil in a saucepan.
- Simmer for 5 minutes and strain.
- Let the tea cool a bit before adding some honey to it.
- Drink it up.
- Drink this 2 to 3 times daily.
- Take a pot and place 1 to 3 teaspoons of ginseng root in it.
- Then pour a cup of boiling water over it.
- Cover this and let it steep for about 20 – 30 minutes.
- Strain and drink this tea 2 or 3 daily.
11. Holy Basil To Treat Low Blood Pressure Naturally
Holy basil, also known as Tulsi in India, is popular for its health benefits. It is also a rich source of many essential nutrients such as magnesium, potassium, and vitamin C. All these makes it effective in stabilizing blood pressure. Here is the recipe on how to make the basil juice to get relief from the low pressure on the blood.
How to Use
- Take 10 – 15 fresh basil leaves, wash and crush them finely.
- Squeeze and sieve this crushed basil leaves to extract its juice.
- Pour this juice in 1/4 cup of water and stir it well.
- Then add a teaspoon of raw honey to it and mix it well.
- Drink this juice once daily in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Alternatively, you can also take some fresh basil leaves and wash it off properly. Place these leaves in your mouth and chew them in the morning on an empty stomach.
12. Carrot Juice To Treat Low Blood Pressure Naturally
Generally, if you start your day with a fresh carrot juice by mixing it with honey will help you to get relieved from the low BP. This juice helps to improve the blood circulation and thus regulates the blood pressure levels.
How to Use
- Take a glass of carrot juice and add 2 tablespoons of honey to it.
- Stir it well and drink twice daily.
13. Almonds and Milk
This almonds and milk is a combination process that is very effective in treating the low blood pressure. This process raises the blood pressure by acting up on the adrenal glands and stabilizes the BP. Almonds has no saturated fat or cholesterol and its also rich in essential fats such as Omega-3 fatty acids. This makes it a very good addition to a low blood pressure diet.
How to Use
- Take a small bowl in the evening and place 5 – 6 almonds in it.
- Pour water on it and cover the bowl properly.
- Allow it to soak for overnight.
- In the next morning, take out the almonds and peel off their skin.
- Place these almonds in a blender or grinder and make it a smooth paste.
- Now place a cup of milk on heat and boil it.
- Add this almond paste into this milk and stir it well.
- Boil this paste in that milk for few minutes and then turn off the heat.
- Drink this cup of almond milk daily in the morning.
Tips to Prevent the Low Blood Pressure
Here are some simple and effective tips that helps you a lot in treating the low blood pressure and thus to maintain the normal BP levels without any fluctuations in it.
Get Enough Rest
Rest is very important to overcome low blood pressure. We all know that low BP is nothing but getting less amount of blood to the vital organs for its functions, so you definitely need to take a break time in your regular works and take rest for few minutes. Continue this throughout the day on daily basis till you cleared this fluctuations in the blood pressure.
Intake of Vitamins
If you don’t consume foods rich in Vitamin B12, you might become anemic, which can cause the problem of low BP. Due to this, people suffering from anemia and low blood pressure are encouraged to eat foods rich in Vitamin B12. Foods rich in vitamins such as sweet potatoes, spinach, almonds, milk, egg, cheese and fish. Also include egg, fish and spinach in your diet. Consume these foods regularly. You can also take vitamin supplements under the guidance of a doctor.
Stress Management and Relaxation Techniques
Stress increases the risk of many heart diseases including low blood pressure. Engage in activities you enjoy and spend time with friends. Try yoga, deep breathing techniques and regular exercise at least 30 minutes five days per week in order to reduce stress. Identify situations or people that stress you out and avoid them when possible.
Avoid Drinking Alcohol
Alcohol dehydrates you and can lower your blood pressure. Even moderate consumption can cause your blood vessels to constrict, leading to low BP.
Wear Compression Stockings
Compression stockings help reduce the amount of blood that gets caught in the lower legs and feet, so shifting it elsewhere. Compression stockings are also used to help relieve pressure and pain associated with varicose veins.
Avoid Standing or Sitting for Longer Period
Prolong sitting or standing will impair proper blood circulation throughout your body. This in certain times, makes you feel fatigue. Always elevate your head at night time on the bed by placing the another pillow or bricks or blocks under the head placing position of the bed. Also move your body within short intervals whenever you are doing something that requires sitting or standing for long. Moreover, whenever you want to stand up from either sitting or lying positions, then you have to do this slowly. Because if you stand up suddenly, you may feel dizzy and also fall down unconsciously. But also remember to sit down or lie down whenever you feel nauseated or feeling of faint.
Daily do some light exercises like walking, swimming, cycling, etc. which help to promote the proper blood flow to all over the body. Exercises also prevent blood from pooling in the legs and have proper blood circulation throughout the body. This helps to control the low blood pressure.
Drink More Water
Water is very important for every organ for doing its normal and regular functionality. So to increase the lowered blood pressure, you have to drink a lot of water and other fluids such as herbal teas, fruit or vegetable juices, eating of fruits which have high water content, etc. as this will clears the dehydration and thereby low BP.
Regular Medical Check-ups
The only way to know if you have high BP or hypertension is to have your blood pressure measured. With that, your care provider will help you to understand your results which is key to controlling high BP. It would be better to check your blood pressure regularly even though you’re healthy. Also, make sure to consult your doctor to know whether if any of medications that you’re using are causing the fluctuations in the blood pressure.
Which remedy worked well for you? Share your experience with us in the comments section.