Stretch marks are a skin issue that can affect both women and men. They can occur in most parts of the body, but are especially common in the arms, breasts, abdomen, thighs and hips. Stretch marks ranges from very mild pale pink or white lines to deep, purple very noticeable tears in the skin. Luckily you can reduce your stretch marks using coconut oil. You can get them so reduced that they will not even be visible!
Often stretch marks are a result of the rapid stretching of the skin, most commonly occurring among pregnant women. It can also occur during rapid weight gain or weight loss. Hormonal changes can also play a role during puberty and physical changes with your body. This rapid stretching of the skin causes the elastic fibers under the skin’s surface to break. This ultimately results in stretch marks.
Though there are various natural remedies, using coconut oil for your stretch marks will likely be the best. All you need is the right product to help you reduce the appearance of stretch marks. There are many over the counter medicines in the market, but instead of using such expensive products you can use coconut oil. Yes, many people have got positive results with coconut oil and you can also definitely give it a try.
Why Coconut Oil for Stretch Marks?
As most readers surely know, coconut oil is one of the most popular alternative oils in the world. It is also widely available for medicinal and cosmetic purposes. Coconut oil is not only good for your skin but also your overall health. This is due to its anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, anti-viral and also anti-microbial properties. Coconut oil effectively reduces stretch marks due to its healing, moisturizing and also repairing properties.
Furthermore, it contains antioxidant agents that can fight free radicals, thereby removing stretch marks slowly and effectively. The oil heals the stretch marks by restoring the elasticity of the skin. The oil will also help hydrate your skin and keep it soft. Additionally, it’s very powerful in reduction of sagging or loosening of the skin.
The saturated fats present in coconut oil are also helpful, too, as they strengthen cell walls. Iron, and Vitamins E and K stimulate the generation of new cells which quickly fades stretch marks. Coconut oil also balances the skin’s natural oils as it helps remove dead skin cells and increase the production of collagen.
Precautions While Using Coconut Oil for Stretch Marks
You should be sure to keep a few things in mind when applying this oil.
- Avoid coconut oil if you are allergic to it.
- Always use virgin and cold compressed coconut oil.
- Use only a small amount of coconut oil for the treatment of stretch marks. Because, it is very potent and if you use too much, your skin will be excessively oily. This can be bad for skin health and also uncomfortable.
- Perform a patch test before continuing regular treatments.
- Don’t scratch the stretch marks.
- Simple massage techniques should be used, do not use complicated techniques until you have complete knowledge about them.
- If you are planning to mix any other oil with coconut oil for massage, confirm it with your doctor first. They may sometimes lead to allergic reactions.
- During pregnancy, be cautious in massaging. Do not apply too much pressure on the belly, just softly massage till oil disappears.
- Drink plenty of water to get hydrated. Because, it helps to retain the moisture in the skin.
- Exercise regularly to retain the skin elasticity during pregnancy.
- Include vitamin A, C and E foods in your daily diet. Vitamins help in repairing the damaged skin.
- Avoid applying coconut oil if you have either cuts, wounds or blisters.
Home Remedies for Stretch Marks Using Coconut Oil
You don’t have to live with these unsightly marks or allow them to embarrass you. It may even be possible to prevent them from showing up using by using a simple and totally natural product – coconut oil.
Combining coconut oil with other essential oils has shown to help many with these marks. Let’s have a look at them below.
1. Coconut Oil for Stretch Marks
The lauric acid of coconut oil has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties. It helps feed the skin and repairs damaged skin through its minerals, vitamins and nutrients. This help boosts the healing process of stretch marks.
- Apply some coconut oil over the stretch marks, layer after layer.
- Massage very well to be absorbed into the skin.
- Leave it on. Apply the coconut oil two to three times each day.
- Repeat daily until you see the stretch marks slowly fading away.
2. Coconut Oil with Olive Oil
Olive oil contains an antioxidant that protects the skin. Also, it’s light texture makes it a perfect non-sticky moisturizer that stays for long. This together with coconut oil slowly fades your stretch marks.
- Mix few drops each of coconut oil and olive oil.
- Gently massage the mixture on stretch marks.
- Leave it on until the skin absorbs the oils completely.
- Repeat daily.
- For extra benefits, add vitamin E oil and contents of vitamin A capsules.
3. Coconut Oil with Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is packed with anti-viral, antibiotic and also anti-inflammatory properties. This helps treat all kinds of problems including stretch marks.
- Combine 4 tablespoons of coconut oil with 3 to 4 drops of tea tree oil.
- Then apply on the affected area.
- Use the remedy two or three times a day.
4. Coconut Oil with Cocoa Butter and Shea Butter
High concentrations of fatty acids and vitamins make shea and cocoa butter an ideal cosmetic ingredient for your skin. They also has anti-inflammatory and healing properties. Using them on your body, especially your stretch marks, can condition, tone and soothe your skin.
- Mix equal amounts of coconut oil, cocoa butter and shea butter.
- Melt the mixture using double boiler or microwave.
- Finally, now add few drops of vitamin E oil.
- Let the mixture cool down.
- Scoop out a little and massage in on stretch marks or belly during pregnancy.
- Leave it on till the skin absorbs the oils completely.
- Repeat the application 2 times daily.
5. Coconut Oil with Castor Oil
Castor oil contains essential fatty acids that helps in restoring the skin’s natural moisture balance. This hydrates your skin and further reduces your stretch marks.
- Mix equal amounts of coconut oil and castor oil.
- Massage the mixture on stretch marks for 5 minutes.
- Let it rest till the oils are absorbed by the skin.
- Repeat daily.
6. Home-made Coconut Oil Soap
- Grate a natural soap and then sprinkle 1 to 2 ounces of coconut oil over it.
- Heat the ingredients on a double boiler.
- Stir often so that the ingredients should not burn.
- Once liquefied, remove from the heat.
- Add 10 to 15 dried petals and rose geranium essential oil (about 3 drops) to it.
- Stir well to get the wanted consistency and later pour into soap molds.
- Once the soap has cooled, remove from molds, letting them dry for 3 to 4 days.
- Use the soap daily, rubbing over the stretch marks.
7. Coconut Oil with Coffee Grounds
Coffee grounds make a great exfoliant. The grounds do not dissolve in water, which makes them good at scrubbing away dead skin cells. This helps lighten the skin reducing your marks.
- Combine 1/2 cup each of coconut oil (liquefied) and coffee grounds.
- Pour the mixture into moulds and let it rest for 5 hours.
- Remove them from moulds, place them in an airtight container or zip lock bag.
- Refrigerate to store them.
- Before going to bath, take out one cube and scrub on the stretch marks.
- After 5 minutes, wash and bath normally.
- Alternatively, prepare fresh mixture of coconut oil and coffee grounds. Scrub the mixture immediately for few minutes and rinse off.
- Repeat 3 times a week.
8. Coconut Oil with Turmeric
Turmeric is best known for its anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antiseptic agents. This makes it a fantastic remedy for acne, arthritis, digestive problems and also stretch marks.
- Mix 2 tablespoons coconut oil and 1 teaspoon turmeric powder.
- Apply the mixture on stretch marks.
- After 15 minutes, rinse off with water.
- Repeat daily.
- For extra benefits, add 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
- Soak the turmeric overnight and then grind into a paste.
- On a warm, low flame add 1 cup of coconut oil, then add the turmeric paste.
- Apply the mix over the stretch marks.
- Allow for the skin to absorb and wash off after 30 minutes.
- Repeat daily
9. Coconut Oil with Sugar
Sugar is composed of essential fatty acids that help moisturize the skin and also prevent stretch marks.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and sugar each.
- Add 3 to 4 drops of vanilla essential oil and combine ingredients well.
- Massage the mixture and leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse off with water and pat dry.
- Repeat twice daily.
- Store remaining mixture in refrigerator for future use.
10. Coconut Oil with Camphor
Camphor contains anti-inflammatory. It has a strong odor and taste and is easily absorbed through the skin. This helps treat all kinds of problems including stretch marks. It can also be used topically to relieve pain, irritation and skin itching.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of coconut oil with few drops of camphor oil.
- Apply the mixture on the stretch marks.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat daily.
11. Home-made Coconut Oil Cream
- Extract gel from an aloe vera leaf.
- Add aloe vera gel, 20 drops of coconut oil, 10 drops each of carrot seed oil, almond oil, grape seed oil, egg oil and buckthorn oil.
- Blend all the ingredients well and pour in an air tight container.
- Refrigerate the mixture or leave it in a dry place.
- Scoop out a little and apply it on stretch marks.
- Repeat 2 times daily.
12. Coconut Oil with Essential Oils
- Mix 30ml of evening primrose oil and 50g of coconut oil.
- Using a double boiler, melt the oils over low heat.
- While stirring constantly, sprinkle water over the mix.
- When a fluffy texture is formed, remove the flame.
- Add 2ml lemon oil and 3ml lavender oil.
- Whip constantly for few minutes and store the mixture in air tight container.
- Scoop out a little and massage it gently on stretch marks.
- Repeat daily.
- Blend fractioned coconut oil, frankincense oil and lavender oil.
- Massage the mixture on stretch marks.
- Leave it on to let the skin absorb the oils.
- Repeat daily.
How Long Coconut Oil Takes to Cure Stretch Marks?
Most people report a noticeable decrease in the appearance or severity of stretch marks after using coconut oil regularly for one month. For pregnant women, it is often recommended to use the oil from months 5-8. Because, this is when your stomach will be expanded rapidly and also the majority of stretch marks appear.
While every body is unique, if you consistently use this beneficial oil for at least a month, you should be quite pleased with the results! Be patient and try the remedies regularly without fail. If you have any suggestions regarding this article, then write to us in the comments section below.