Back pain is one of the most common problem of today’s. Millions of people around the world experience back pain problems at some point in their lives. The strenuous activities that one has to do these days is one of the main causes of back pain. Most people take pain medications to get rid of the back pain but why not use ginger instead? Keep scrolling to learn more!
Back pain can also occur due to a number of reasons which include stress, improper diet, muscle tension, lack of exercise, poor body postures, excess body weight and arduous physical labour. The symptoms of back pain include stiffness in the spine, a chronic ache in the lower back or around the hips, difficulty in sleeping on the bed and inability to stand or sit for a long period of time.
It is important to not ignore this health issue as it may cause other serious health problems in the future. However, it is easy to treat back pain using ginger for instant relief. You can take ginger in any form to relieve back pain. It possesses powerful anti inflammatory capability. It can not only provide relief from back pain but also promote the recovery process in case of chronic back pain by reducing inflammation. Let’s have a look on ginger for back in detail here…
Is Ginger Good for Relieving Back Pain?
Ginger contains gingerols which is one of the main compound with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory capabilities. It helps to relieve the symptoms of back pain and other inflammatory pains.
It also contains shagols and zingerones. These are known for natural analgesic and muscle relaxing properties. They improve blood circulation to the pain areas to provide relief.
Ginger also contains high amounts of selenium which possess anti-inflammatory properties. It provides relief from pain caused by inflammatory conditions such as joint pains, sciatica, and others.
How to Use Ginger for Back Pain
Ginger root also known as the rhizome can be consumed fresh, dried, juiced or in the oil form. This can either be alone or along with other natural ingredients to alleviate back pain. Below are the best methods with how to use them.
1. Ginger Tea
Ginger tea is simple to make and is one if the best ways to get rid of back pain. You just need a piece of fresh ginger root and water.
- Wash and peel an inch of ginger root.
- Add one cup of water to a boiling pot.
- Grate the ginger root and add to water.
- Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Strain and drink it when it cools down to palatable temperatures
- Drink it 2-3 times daily
2. Ginger Compress For Back Pain
This process can be used to heal intense outbursts of back pain. The warmness of the compress relaxes the muscles and nerves to provide relief.
- Grate a 5 inch piece of fresh ginger and place in a clean cheesecloth.
- Tie up the cheesecloth and immerse it in hot water for 30 seconds.
- Let it cool a bit and place it on the painful area for 10 minutes.
- Use this compress at least 3 to 4 times a day.
- Repeat this 2-3 times a day.
3. Ginger and Honey Tea
Several studies have proven that honey possesses analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties which making it a good remedy for back pain.
- Chop a few slices of ginger and add into a small bowl of water.
- Boil it for about 10 minutes and remove from the flame.
- Strain the water into a cup and let it cool down to lukewarm.
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey to it and mix well.
- Drink this tea daily.
4. Ginger and Olive Oil
Extra virgin olive oil consists of oleocanthol, a component which is said to relieve pain the same way as ibuprofen does.
- Add 5-10 drops of ginger essential oil to 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Heat this mixture in a small saucepan and remove from the flame.
- Cool it down and apply it to the affected area.
- Massage gently and leave it on for about 30 minutes.
- Wash off or wipe using with a clean cloth.
- Repeat this method 4 times a day.
5. Ginger and Turmeric Tea For Back Pain
Chronic inflammation could also be a reason for back pain that is caused due to arthritis or osteoarthritis. Turmeric has a great number of anti-inflammatory properties which aid in the suppression of back pain due to inflammation.
- In a bowl of water, mix 1 teaspoon of fresh ginger root (grated) and turmeric (grated roots or powder).
- Bring this mixture to boil and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the stove and strain the solution into a cup.
- Add half a teaspoon of honey to taste (optional)
- Drink this tea every day.
6. Ginger and Garlic Remedies For Back Pain
Garlic contains capsaicin, selenium and thiacremonone. All these makes it a great analgesic and cooling agent. It helps to soothe the pain and also ease inflammation.
- Grate 3 inches of ginger roots
- Crush 8-10 garlic cloves
- Add a cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Mix well and keep it in a sealed jar for a week.
- Use 2 tablespoons of this ginger garlic olive oil for back massage whenever you have back pain.
- Do it 2-3 times during the day to get relief.
- Fry about 10 garlic cloves on low flame till they are golden brown in a pan with little coconut oil.
- Now strain the oil and add 12 drops of ginger oil into it.
- Cool the oil down and massage your back pain with this.
- Leave the oil on the back for about 30 minutes before wiping it clean with a towel.
- Repeat this regularly.
7. Ground Ginger Salve
Ginger salve acts as an ointment in relieving back pain caused due to muscle or nerve strain.
- Peel the skin of 5 inches long ginger.
- Now chop it to fine pieces and then blend it into a smooth paste.
- Apply the mixture on the affected area and cover it with a towel.
- Let it sit for about half an hour before removing and wiping it with a clean towel.
- Repeat the application once daily.
Note: If you don’t have fresh ginger, combine ginger powder with enough amounts of water to make a paste. Spread it on the affected areas, leave it on for 30 minutes and rinse off with warm water.
8. Ginger and Epsom Salt Soak
In some cases, magnesium deficiency can also result in back pain. Epsom salt provides the required magnesium and sulfur to the muscle nerves to relieve the pain. It also contains anti-inflammatory and natural relaxant properties.
- Boil some water in a small pot.
- Add 2 tablespoons of freshly crushed ginger juice and a cup of Epsom salt.
- Let the mixture boil for a few minutes.
- Now soak a clean cotton cloth in the pot and squeeze out any excess water.
- Dab the cloth on the affected area and leave it onto for a while.
- After the towel cools off, re-soak and reapply it for a few times.
- Repeat this twice a day.
9. Ginger Milk For Back Pain
Pain in the back of abdomen may also be caused due to a weak bone structure. Milk is rich in calcium. It strengthens the bones and soothes the pain when combined with ginger.
- Add a teaspoon of ginger paste/ginger powder/ few freshly chopped ginger slices to a glass of hot milk and let it steep.
- When it is lukewarm, add a little honey to it and drink the milk.
- Drink this every day during the breakfast.
10. Ginger and Valerian Root
Valerian root is a natural analgesic which directly affects the nervous system and reduces the pain significantly. It has been noted that Valerian root when ingested with aspirin, increases its effectiveness.
- Boil a cup of water.
- Add some valerian root and freshly sliced ginger pieces to it.
- Steep for 10 minutes and then strain the tea into a cup.
- Add ½ teaspoon of honey to taste (optional).
- Drink twice a day.
11. Ginger and Chamomile Tea
Chamomile is a muscle relaxant and an anti-inflammatory agent. In case of back pain caused by arthritis, chamomile tea calms your nerves and releases the tension in the pain afflicted areas.
- Boil a cup of water with dried chamomile leaves and freshly chopped ginger slices.
- Let the concoction steep for about 5 minutes.
- Strain and drink the tea.
- Repeat twice a day.
12. Ginger Candy for Back Pain
A candy made with ginger is not just a sweat but can be really helpful in treating back pain caused by inflammation in joints or muscles. You can either buy them at a grocery store or make them at home by following the below process…
- Slice 1 pound ginger into thin slices.
- Into a saucepan, add ginger pieces and enough water to cover them.
- Bring the mixture to boil and simmer it at low flame for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the flame and strain it.
- Reserve 4 cup of ginger water and drain the remaining liquid (or else you can drink as ginger tea).
- Into a pot, add reserved ginger water and 4 cups of sugar.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and add ginger slices.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer it for 30 – 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- The sugar syrup thickens in this time.
- Measure the temperature using a candy thermometer.
- Once it reads 225 degrees F, remove from the flame.
- Strain the solution and lay out the ginger slices on a large cooling rack over a cookie sheet.
- Let it sit aside for 2 hours, toss them in sugar crystals and lay them again on cooling rack.
- Leave it overnight to dry. Once dry, place in a glass jar.
- Eat few ginger pieces daily to get relief from the back pain.
Precautions on Uses of Ginger
Ginger is generally safe but you have to be cautious under certain circumstances. Take following precautions while using ginger for back pain relief or any other purpose.
- Ginger is a natural blood thinner so if you are already taking blood thinning drugs then check with your doctors on the use of ginger.
- Pregnant women should be aware that ginger influences hormonal balances which may cause miscarriage.
- Ginger also increases insulin levels in the blood so if you are taking medicines for diabetes then you may have to adjust your doses. Check it out with your doctor.
- Too much ginger can give you diarrhea, nausea and even vomiting, so stay within your limits to consume ginger at a time.
General Back Pain Preventive Measures
Taking the following precautions can you avoid or reduce your back pain.
- Do not lift heavy weights.
- Band your knees and keep your back straight while lifting any weight.
- Practice good posture while sitting and standing.
- Use firm mattresses to sleep. Too soft or too hard both can give you back pain.
- Maintain your weight. If you are overweight or obese then lower your weight.
- Eat healthy diet.
Ginger is great for back pain and other joint pains. Try it out before rushing to drugs for pain relief. Share your experiences with us below in the comment box!